Learn more about lapsed emails, see examples, and learn how to automate them through Bikky and Mailchimp.
Send a reminder to your guests that haven't ordered in a while with a lapsed email. In this article, we'll cover:
- Lapsed Email Explanation
- Lapsed Email Examples
- Automating Lapsed Email Instructions
- Advanced Lapsed Emails with a Conditional Discount
Lapsed Email Explanation
For lapsed guests, re-engage with them through email and remind them why they should order from you again. As a best practice, similar to your welcome emails, Bikky recommends a series (also called a 'sequence') that re-introduces them to your brand and highlights menu items. The lapsed emails can have similar messaging to the welcome emails except that the first email is a 'we miss you' or ‘it’s been a while’ message. Subsequent emails reintroduce the brand and remind the guest about your story and menu items. You can also include a discount, but we recommend trying to win back the guest without giving away a discount if you don't have to. If you want to include a conditional discount at the end of you email, learn more in our advanced lapsed email settings.
Here's an example of a lapsed sequence:
Lapsed Email Examples
5 Napkin Burger Lapsed Emails
Liang's Village Lapsed Emails
- We miss you
- Delivery + Pick-up promo
- Menu item highlight: chicken plate
- Founder interview
- Menu item highlight: beef and pork belly pancakes
- What’s new
- Menu item highlight: preserved eggs and tofu
Redcrest Fried Chicken Lapsed Emails
- We miss you
- Our Story reminder
- Menu Item Highlight: chicken sandwich
- Menu Item Highlight: chicken basket
- Direct Ordering Reminder
Naked Farmer Lapsed Email
Automating Lapsed Email Instructions
- Mailchimp integration with Bikky: Ensure your Mailchimp account is integrated with Bikky if not done already. If not integrated, add email@example.com as an admin to your Mailchimp account and contact your Bikky Onboarding Manager to enable the integration.
- Bikky Guest Segmentation: Create a segment in segmentation with the criteria "Most Recent Order Date is before the last XX days" and when you save the segment, select the checkbox for Mailchimp Sync. Bikky's lapsed segments are customizable to your definition of lapsed by allowing you to choose how many days it's been since a guest's last order (that's where you choose the number of days for "XX" in the segment above).
- Mailchimp classic automation: Set up a classic automation within Mailchimp with the trigger from your Bikky segment. Learn how to set up a classic automation in this article.
- Trigger: Delay set to "immediately" and select the tag that was created from your segment.
- Ensure that your Schedule is set to "Send at" a specific time.
Lapsed Email Automation Instructional Video
Advanced Lapsed Emails with a Conditional Discount
- Create your lapsed emails: Follow the instructions above for automating lapsed emails
- Bikky Guest Segmentation: Create an Active Guests segment in guest segmentation with the criteria Most Recent Order Date is within the last XX Days and when you save the segment, select the checkbox for Mailchimp Sync.
- The Active Guests Segment is the opposite of your lapsed segment. So if your lapsed segment is Most Recent Order Date is before the last 60 days, then for the segment used for the conditional discount is Most Recent Order Date is within the last 60 days.
- Mailchimp Classic Automation condition: In the automation with your lapsed emails:
- Edit the Filter by segment or tag for the email with the discount
- Select Contacts match the following conditions and select Tags, contact is not tagged, and the tag from your Active Guests Segment.
Lapsed Email Conditional Discount Instructional Video