Learn more about lapsed emails, see examples, and learn how to automate them through Bikky and Mailchimp.
Send a reminder to your guests that haven't ordered in a while with a lapsed email. In this article, we'll cover:
Lapsed Email Explanation
For lapsed guests, re-engage with them through email and remind them why they should order from you again. As a best practice, similar to your welcome emails, Bikky recommends a series (also called a 'sequence') that re-introduces them to your brand and highlights menu items. The lapsed emails can have similar messaging to the welcome emails except that the first email is a 'we miss you' or ‘it’s been a while’ message. Subsequent emails reintroduce the brand and remind the guest about your story and menu items. You can also include a discount, but we recommend trying to win back the guest without giving away a discount if you don't have to. If you want to include a conditional discount at the end of you email, learn more in our advanced lapsed email settings.
Here's an example of a lapsed sequence:
Lapsed Email Examples
5 Napkin Burger Lapsed Emails
Liang's Village Lapsed Emails
- We miss you
- Delivery + Pick-up promo
- Menu item highlight: chicken plate
- Founder interview
- Menu item highlight: beef and pork belly pancakes
- What’s new
- Menu item highlight: preserved eggs and tofu
Redcrest Fried Chicken Lapsed Emails
- We miss you
- Our Story reminder
- Menu Item Highlight: chicken sandwich
- Menu Item Highlight: chicken basket
- Direct Ordering Reminder
Naked Farmer Lapsed Email
Automating Lapsed Email Instructions
- Bikky Guest Segmentation: You will create use two segments to automate your lapsed emails: 1) lapsed guests and 2) active guests. By default, your Bikky dashboard has a 60 days lapsed segment and a 60 days active segment. You can create your own segment if you want to change the number of days for the lapsed threshold. Be sure to push the segment to Mailchimp, which can be done by editing segment details.
- Lapsed segment: Most recent order date is before the last XX days
- Active segment: Most recent order date is within the last XX days.
- Mailchimp Customer Journey: Create a customer journey in Mailchimp with the lapsed segment as the trigger. Bikky reccomends
- Trigger: lapsed segment
- Add Send Email
- Add Time Delay and set the number of days between emails
- Add If / Else, for No, add second email, for Yes, do not add any steps
- Repeat adding Time Delay and If / Else steps until the lapsed email sequence is completed
- Once you have set up the entire customer journey and it is live, you can add the initial cohort of guests that are 60+ days lapsed by editing the journey and click edit Journey Settings and click manually add contacts. Then select create a custom segment and set the criteria for contact is tag 60 days lapsed. This will add all guests that are 60 or more days lapsed.
Example of a 3 email lapsed sequence
Lapsed Email Automation Instructional Video